By Rachel Magday

NUEVA VIZCAYA, Philippines —The Joint Regional Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (JRTF-ELCAC) in Region 2 has formally declared Cagayan Valley “insurgency-free” and placed it under a State of Stable Internal Peace and Security (SSIPS).
The declaration was approved through a resolution during the task force’s full council meeting on March 24, 2026, held at Ammungan Hall and hosted by the provincial government of Nueva Vizcaya. Cagayan Governor Edgar B. Aglipay, chair of the JRTF-ELCAC Regional Council, presided over the meeting.
The resolution cited sustained and coordinated efforts among national government agencies, security forces, local government units, and communities as key to achieving the milestone, following the government’s whole-of-nation approach to ending insurgency.
Through the Regional Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (RTF-ELCAC), coordinated measures were carried out not only to address security concerns but also to deliver services, infrastructure, and livelihood programs to communities previously affected by conflict.
Before the regional declaration, the province of Nueva Vizcaya had already been declared an insurgency-free province in 2023 under the leadership of Governor Atty. Jose V. Gambito.
Gambito said the regional declaration is expected to open more opportunities for growth and development across Cagayan Valley, citing Nueva Vizcaya’s experience after it was declared insurgency-free.
“Our experience in Nueva Vizcaya showed that peace and security create a strong foundation for development. After the province was declared insurgency-free in 2023, we saw increased investor confidence, more business opportunities, and stronger economic activity,” Gambito said.
“With the entire Cagayan Valley now declared insurgency-free, we expect these benefits to be felt across the region. This will encourage more investments, improve livelihood opportunities, boost tourism, and further accelerate progress in the region”, Gambito added.


